Scott Kubie is an author, digital strategist, and professional speaker and design training facilitator. He joined Brain Traffic in 2016 and serves as their Lead Content Strategist, helping organizations of all kinds deal with big messy website problems.
Scott grew up in rural Nebraska, and studied electronic media and journalism at Drake University. He has been working on content side of digital experiences since 2009, was the first UX content strategist at Wolfram Research, and is the author of Writing for Designers from A Book Apart. He has led over 60 public talks and workshops for international audiences, as well as dozens of on-site training events for corporate, non-profit, and higher ed clients of all sizes including Securian Financial, Harvard, Mizzou, The Getty, The IRS, and the Iowa Arts Council.
Scott founded and organized three World Information Architecture Day events in Des Moines and has volunteered at numerous design industry events, including content strategy for the 2014 Information Architecture Summit.
Before his career in tech, Scott served as a founding board member and later executive director of the non-profit Greater Des Moines Music Coalition, helping launch numerous events including the 80/35 Music Festival. He has worked as a coworking space operator, overnight rock radio DJ, camera operator for hockey and horse racing, and purveyor of vintage menswear.
He lives and works in Northeast Minneapolis and enjoys biking, running, and performing his music at local open mic nights. He publishes regularly to LinkedIn, the Brain Traffic blog, and his personal blog Brutalist Bookends.
Original articles about design and content strategy
Get a feel for how I think by reading some of these articles about design, UX, and content strategy.
- How to Plan Your Content Ecosystem Mapping Project | Brain Traffic
- How many people is too many when it comes to reviewing content?
- Writing for Designers | A List Apart
- What to Do When You Need More Writers | Brain Traffic
- Assessing Your User-Centered Content Strategy | Brain Traffic
- Put the Work Before the Words | Brain Traffic
- How to Use a Content Ecosystem Map | Brain Traffic
- What Even Is a Website? | Brain Traffic
- The Situation Analysis: How to Put Your Research to Work | Brain Traffic
- How to Plan and Run a Content Strategy Alignment Workshop | Brain Traffic
- Dear User: Let's Be Friends
- An Introduction to Content Ecosystem Maps | Brain Traffic
- What to Include in a Content Ecosystem Map | Brain Traffic
- Clarity through content strategy | Gather Content
- How to make your team hate writing for you | Gather Content
Interviews and media
- The Write Stuff: Episode 3 | Blurt.App (video podcast)
- Get to Know Scott Kubie | A Book Apart
- Scott Kubie’s new book “Writing for Designers” explains how to get writing done on design projects | Clay & Milk
- Scott Kubie and Content Ecosystems | The Content Strategy Podcast
- UX in 2018: Content | UX Booth
- Build Your Digital Writing Toolbox | Blend Interactive blog
- Content Strategy, In Their Words | Antics in Semantics blog
- Q&A: Scott Kubie on content strategy, UX, and design | Blaze Content blog
- Meet #hewebMI conference keynote: Scott Kubie on content strategy, dead content & #highered websites | College Web Editor
- Insight on Business: It's something but not brainstorming | Insight on Business
Scott's Book: Writing for Designers
Scott is the author of Writing for Designers, a brief book about how to get the writing done on web and digital projects. It was first published in October 2018 and is available in print and ebook from A Book Apart, and through Apple's iBooks.
Press and Media Resources
- Headshot: Download a high-resolution JPG version of the headshot on this page.
- Promo images: Download a ZIP archive containing promotional images of Scott's book Writing for Designers.
- Bio: Scott prefers to customize his bio to suit each event. If you need one in a hurry grab the first few paragraphs on the home page.
- Name pronounciation: Koo-bee (rhymes with Scooby). There's no Q sound.